I can hardly believe it's true, but our baby boy has arrived and is absolutely perfect! I know it took me a while to post this, but it has been a hectic first two weeks of his life! Let me fill you in on all the details... starting back on Wednesday, October 22nd:
Well, on Wednesday morning, I had an appointment with my doctor to check my blood pressure (which had been rising slightly for the past few visits). The appointment revealed my elevated blood pressure, so she asked me to go over to the hospital for a non-stress test to see how the baby was doing and to monitor my blood pressure for a longer period of time. I spent about an hour and a half resting while being monitored before my doctor came back and told me I would have to be on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. So... I went to work to clear out my things and let them know my leave was starting a week early and then headed home.
Now, while I was told to limit my activity to the "kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom", I figured resting on a La-Z-Boy in front of the TV was good enough. The hours ticked away one by one as I waited for time to pass and after six gruelling hours.... my water broke! So much for extended bedrest!
Adam got home about five minutes after my water had broken, so I met him on the front porch to let him know we'd need to head to the hospital pretty quick... let's just say surprise is an understatement for what Adam was feeling. We took our time getting ready to head to town and arrived at the Family Birth Center at around 10:30pm.
Once it had been verified that my water had in fact broken, they put me into my delivery room and told me to relax and get some sleep. At this point, my contractions had not started; however, a few hours later, that was a very different story. Throughout the night, my contractions got stronger as my hubby slept soundly on the rock hard hospital couch. By 7:00am, the nurses arrived and check to see if I was dialated (for the first time since arriving at the hospital). I was dialated to a 4, so they agreed to start the epidural process. They finished up with the epidural around 8:30 and another nurse checked my progress.
Much to her surprise, as well as ours, I was dialated to 9 1/2! Let's just say, everyone started moving a bit quicker at this point. Within another half hour I was pushing with the help of Adam and the nurse. My mom was also there to offer moral support (thank God!).
Brennan Adam Kunst arrived at 10:45am on Thursday, October 23rd, 2008. He was a healthy 7lbs. 1oz. and 20 inches long with a full head of
dark brown hair. I held our bundle of joy for about 15 minutes before he was taken to get cleaned up and measured.
dark brown hair. I held our bundle of joy for about 15 minutes before he was taken to get cleaned up and measured. At this point, my doctor delivered a healthy placenta and left the room wishing us all the best of luck. The nurses began to clean up and began pushing on my stomach to finish th e birthing process. Unfortunately, all was not well at this point. I began to have incredible pain in my stomach region, much like the contractions I had had before delivery. When the pain would not subside, my nurses rushed to get my doctor back in the room. She believed that I had what was called an inverted uterus - basically, my uterus had been turned inside out. As this is a very rare condition, my doctor had never dealt with it before, so she called in another doctor to verify the inverted uterus. He had the nurses rush me to the OR to stop the excessive bleeding and to fix me up.

Because of this little complication, I was in the hospital until Sunday around noon. Since then Adam, Brennan, and I have been adjusting to life as a new family and loving every minute of it!
Whew, what a long story! Now check out the good stuff... the pictures of our little angel!






No comments:
Post a Comment